This recipe was given to me by my brother-in-law but origanally from an Australian Women’s Weekly cookbook/magazine. The coconut milk tames the spices, making this a smooth and subtle soup. You can use chicjen breast if you prefer them to the chicken thigh meat.. This recipe is gluten-free if you use a purchased or home-made stock that is gf suitable and a gf fish sauce. The whole coriander/cilantro is used in this soup- the roots and stem in the soup base and then the leaves before serving
READY IN: 45mins
SERVES: galangal, peeled and sliced thickly
teaspoons coriander roots, and stems (cilantro)
g straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed under clean water
teaspoons fish sauce, gluten-free if required for diet
Ingredients to add just before serving
fresh small thai red chilies, seeded and sliced thinly
- Cut the lemongrass into 5 cm pieces and pound the pieces with the side of your kitchen knife to bruise them. This helps to release the flavour into the soup.
- Using a large saucepan- combine the stock, lemongrass pieces, galangal, whole lime leaves and coriander (cilantro) roots and stems mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain the stock through muslin or a fine strainer into a large heatproof bowl. Discard the solids.
- Rinse your saucepan.
- Return your stock/soup base to the same saucepan.
- Add chicken and straw mushrooms. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce and the sugar. Cook, stirring, until only just heated through. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients- coriander (cilantro) leaves, red chillies, kaffir lime leaves and the lemon grass slices.
- Serve hot.