Fish Amok Cambodian lemongrass curry, paleo- & vegan-friendly. Our Cambodian fish amok recipe isn't a recipe for the watery fish amok style curry or sloppy fish amok you might have eaten in What is Cambodian Fish Amok – And What Is It Not. Cambodian cuisine must be Southeast Asia's most under-appreciated and most. We've also seen Fish Amok baked like a souffle, using a whole egg to set the curry like a soft custard.
Keyword amok, chicken, coconut milk, curry, ginger or galangal, lemongrass, stew, turmeric. I have never had chicken amok, but I love creamy chicken dishes made with coconut milk. I also love the idea of lemongrass, mint, and ginger. You can cook Fish Amok Cambodian lemongrass curry, paleo- & vegan-friendly using 20 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Fish Amok Cambodian lemongrass curry, paleo- & vegan-friendly
- Prepare of Yellow Kroeung Curry Paste.
- Prepare 1 of large onion.
- It’s 4 of garlic cloves.
- You need 4 of lemongrass stalks, rough ends removed.
- Prepare 2 of Kafir Lime leaves OR 1/2 teaspoon lime zest and 1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice.
- You need 1 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- You need 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger or galangel root (or more to taste).
- Prepare 2 teaspoon of fish sauce (nam pla).
- You need 1 teaspoon of tamari (or tamari soy sauce).
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup (instead of sugar).
- It’s 1 of fresh chilli or 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional – to taste).
- It’s of Curry.
- Prepare 1 (400 g) of tin of coconut milk.
- Prepare 400 g of white fish, such as cod, haddock, pollock or sea bream (tofu/tempeh for the vegan option).
- It’s 1 of red pepper.
- Prepare 150 g of fresh spinach.
- You need 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- You need 1 handful of fresh coriander or basil.
- You need 1 of fresh chilli (optional – for garnish).
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
Be the first to review this recipe. A gentle curry with strong lemongrass flavor. Goes great over white or brown rice. Don't be frightened off by the cook time, it mostly takes care of itself and needs little attention once you combine the ingredients.
Fish Amok Cambodian lemongrass curry, paleo- & vegan-friendly instructions
- Lay out ingredients for curry paste and prepare the food processor.
- Roughly chop onion, garlic, ginger and lemongrass and combine in the food processor.
- Add kafir line leaves (or lime house and zest), turmeric, fish sauce, tamarind and maple syrup and blend until the paste is smooth.
- Melt coconut oil in a pan and add red pepper, cut in strips. (If you are making a vegetarian version add baby corn and green beans). Stir fry until vegetables soften but are not completely cooked..
- Transfer the vegetables to a pan. Add coconut milk and curry paste and bring to a simmer..
- Add fish and cook for 5-10 minutes..
- Add spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes until done..
- Serve with chopped coriander and/ fresh chilli as garnish. Enjoy!.
This traditional Cambodian curry is popular among locals and tourists. My version of this dish is made with fish and garnished with thinly sliced kaffir. Amok curry at the Secret Garden on Otres Beach in southern Cambodia. Cambodia's most famous dish, however, is fish amok. This slightly sweet curry is always presented in a banana leaf bowl, and it has more of a custard consistency thanks to a signature.